Tuesday, April 21, 2009

5 weeks home

Its almost 8am and the boys are still sleeping! I can't believe it. They actually woke up around 6:30 (much more typical) but they still sounded tired to me-usually their coos in the morning sound very happy and these sounded barely awake, so I left them and they are back asleep. It is nice to get some things done before they wake up. Life with two babies is very busy for me, and I am finding it hard to get things done that I thought I'd easily have time for.
We've gotten so many sweet gifts since we've been home but my two favorite are my cloth diapers and my Ergo carrier. I use both of these every day. I use a combination of bum genius and kissaluv diapers (with thirsty covers) and they work wonderfully.! When we realized that we would likely spend over $1000 on diapers in a year we went this direction and it is great, so much easier than people make is sound like it will be. I don't use them when we are out or at night but when we are here I use them every day. I have a total of 14 and this is a perfect number for both boys for two days, then I wash (first in cold water, then hot) them all and use them again. So there is my plug for cloth diapers!
Ergo carriers I think are pretty popular now but I really don't know what I'd do without it. I hate using a huge double stroller when shopping and most stores do not have space for two kids in a shopping cart so I always carry one kid on my back and one in the cart (or single stroller if we go someplace like the library or post office or anyplace that doesn't have shopping carts). So I am getting the hang of getting around with the two of them thanks to my Ergo!

The boys are doing great and their personalities are emerging more and more each day. Eli is always laughing and his eyes just light up with delight whenever he finds something that amuses him and tells us about it with sweet coos. He watches his brother constantly and is very interested in others. He is comfortable in most situations and is not easily bothered. He seems to require a bit less sleep than Caleb and seems to yield to his brother and wait for him to do things first.
Caleb is my strong, usually content child. When he is not content though, he makes it known. In public he is very quiet unless he gets overwhelmed and then he starts screaming. He can be very loud and determined. He seems to get a bit flustered in new situations and holds on to us very tightly even when we go outside or to the car. He seems to like being in familiar places but adjusts fine to new ones once he has time to. He continues to seem to do things before his brother-he is now scooting around a bit and can move any direction very quickly. He is able to focus on tasks fairly intently and plays well independently.
They both LOVE bathtime and would spend their whole day there if I let them. Caleb likes to be on his tummy or back (scaring me a little bit) and kick and kick, splashing the water. Eli laughs and laughs at him-so cute...
Anyway I'll try to get a video of it all to share. Here are a couple recent pics (Eli is on the left in the first two pictures, Caleb is on the left in the last one):
First Easter and first time in the sandbox at Grandma and Grandpa Kerrigan's house!
We love our Grandma and Grandpa Sheridan!Duplos are our favorite

4 comments:

Gretchen Magruder said...

Rachel,
it's so great to hear how you're settling into mommyhood!! The boys look so happy and healthy and it sounds like you're just perfectly suited for this parenting thing!!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like things are going well. :) 14 cloth diapers for two days, doesn't sound too bad, I might have enough then.

Missy said...

They look so happy and they have grown so much!!! Glad to read the update!!!

Alida said...

Rachel,
Thanks for the update. I knew I'd hear from you eventually ..... I can imagine how time to do things like blogging is a commodity now. So happy to see the boys are growing - they look so happy and healthy - and to learn about the things they do and how they act and interact with each other and others. And you ..... you're in full mommie mode .... always figuring out how to make it work better .... welcome to mommie-hood girl!!! So happy for you guys!!!
Alida