Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Week 5

We are going into our 6th week now with the boys. They continue to grow and display new skills every day. It is SO fun They are smiling more and more and now sitting up when they have their hands out to hold them! We just compared the pictures from the first week to the ones in the past few days, what a difference! They will be 6 months on Thursday. The big thing I have done with the boys in the last week is to train them to make themselves fall asleep and it has made SUCH a difference. Before they would need me to hold them until they fell asleep and it was really hard with two babies! The also would want me to hold them every time they woke up at night or during naps to go back to sleep. Well, they are doing great now at making themselves fall asleep. It required that I allowed both of them to cry for about two hours strait, probably the hardest thing I have every done (especially with people all around hearing them!) but now I lay them down awake at bed or naptime, tell them that it is sleep time, and a few minutes later they are asleep! I do miss holding them during those sweet moments but I think this is an important life skill to develop, putting yourself to sleep. I am reading "babywise" thanks to my sister in law, which I just got last week so that has been very affirming in how I am doing things Anyway since putting themselves to sleep they wake up much more rested and happy and I am able to rest too (for 2 two hour naps a day!). They also now each have their own pack and play to sleep in as Sean’s parents brought us an extra one and I think this helps them sleep better too as they are not so aware of the other one.

We had a nice visit with Sean’s parents last week. They were here last Wednesday and Thursday on their way to Rawanda. It had been quite awhile since we had seen them (since before our referral) so we had a nice opportunity to catch up. I also got some shopping done which was fun too.

Sean’s mom will be back on Monday for another week!:) Last Sunday Sean stayed with the kids and I went to another church service with a lady at our guesthouse from Rwanda. I liked the service much better than the one from the week before. It was quite long, 3 hours, but SO fun and alive! I could really sense the Lord’s presence and the music was So great. It was very Ethiopian which I just loved even though it was an "international church". The whole service was both in Amharic and English (one was always being translated) and it was fun to hear singing and
talking that long in Amharic. It is such a beautiful language. Anyway

God is so good, I have more to say but I must go now. I will try to write more soon but do not know if I can as Sean will be on a WV trip for a few days next week with his computer I hope you are all well.

4 comments:

Gretchen Magruder said...

Rachel,
so glad to hear you and the boys are getting into a routine - the babywise principles really make sense, don't they?! Love hearing the updates - - you guys are amazing!!

atHisrighthand said...

Wow! sounds like things are going well! That is awesome your boys are sleeping.. wow!
many blessings!
Elise

Shanna from BabySchrades said...

Rachel, you are a natural! I can't believe that your babies now go to sleep on their own and are on a sleep schedule. You have made more progress in 6wks than I have made in 3 years :) Thanks for the updates - I look forward to them.

Love - Shanna

Alida said...

Hey Rachel,
I have sent a post from our chi group asking how your three boys are doing, but then I remembered, hey, why don't I just check her blog. So glad to hear you are adjusting and doing so well .... your a natural at being a mommy, and the progess you have made with the boys, and that your hubby is there for support .... you've been on my mind and in my prayers .... You go girl!!!!!!! Continue to keep us posted!!! Love reading about your posts.
Alida
www.thejohnsonsadoptionstory.blogspot.com